Blackwood Family Medicine – Our Philosophy
Serving the local community with local physicians to treat you and your family.
We are excellence-driven local doctors who provide our patients with a superior alternative to the corporate, impersonal services of most HMOs by offering better care and a more personal experience.
Qualified Local Doctors in Local Doctors Offices
When you are choosing a personal physician or medical practice to treat the most intimate concerns for your health and well-being, you do not make that choice lightly.
- You want a highly credentialed, board certified doctor.
- You want an experienced general practitioner.
- You want personalized attention for your specific needs.
- You want a relationship with a doctor you can trust.
Blackwood Family Medicine strives to incorporate the human aspect of patient care into our daily interactions and provide expert medical health care to all who enter our practice.
When you choose Blackwood Family Medicine as your primary care provider, we will deliver what you want and more.
- More than 30 years experience working in the family, emergency, obstetric, and women’s health care fields.
- Personalized care by taking a “whole body and mind” approach to healthcare.
- Integrated care by coordinating with other providers, hospitals, home care, and specialists.
- Quality administrative services from appointment schedulers to billing and insurance coordinators.
Our Patient Philosophy
Delivering Many Services – Earning Your Care
We want you to feel that Blackwood Family Medicine is your medical home base. We deliver multiple services so you will benefit by not being required to seek treatment from higher priced specialists when it is not necessary. We want you to trust us as your main health care provider, earning us your medical care for life.
We never want our patients to feel they are just a number to us.
Blackwood Family Medicine maintains a professional office with a relaxed atmosphere so you and all of our patients feel comfortable while in queue or being assisted. We keep a pleasant environment in our waiting rooms and provide various reading materials or informational pamphlets on many topics.
Our Community Philosophy
Dr. Blackwood has the privilege of being on the faculty at Eastern Virginia Medical
As Associate Clinical Instructors in the Family Medicine program, they are instructing and mentoring medical students as well as providing hands-on training to the next generation of medical doctors. The selected medical students from the EVMS program receive crucial clinical experience that will help them become better diagnosticians while gaining invaluable patient care methods from one of the top family practices in the area.
We believe in doing our part to give back to our community so that it may thrive. Educating future practitioners to be the best they can be is our small contribution.
Local Resources and Activities
In the Virginia Beach, Hampton Roads, Tidewater areas exists a lively community packed with social events, sports and physical exercise opportunities, and nutritional and culinary resources that all contribute to healthy living.
With so many sources, it can be difficult to track all that our community has to offer.
Your family doctor at Blackwood Family Medicine can provide you with reading materials and resources for a wide variety of topics.
A few examples include:
- Parenting tips
- Newborn information
- Menopause Learning to reduce stress
- How to achieve balance between your work and home life
There are also special interest groups throughout the local community that provide information on just about any topic imaginable. From groups about breastfeeding to living with elderly parents to exercise and nutrition for diabetics.
References are available on the internet that can help you locate your support group or information supplier of choice.
Local newspapers and magazines also post cultural activities, special meetings and events happening in our community. Informational flyers can be found in local stores and specialty shops.
All of the Hampton Roads area YMCAs offers individual and family memberships and have activities for everyone. Check your nearest branch for available classes, training, and so much more.
Additional avenues for sports enthusiasts include running, golf, tennis or other clubs, as well as bike, surf, or skate shops that often sponsor local events, and may offer expert advice for beginners or training if you need to develop your skills.
About Privia Medical Group
Our practice is a proud member of Privia Medical Group – a physician-led, multi-speciality, national medical group. The nation’s top primary care physicians and specialists came together to form Privia Medical Group and share in the mission of providing better, more coordinated care to patients.
Our group focuses on taking accountability for the health and wellness of the patients we serve. We use some of the latest advances in medicine to help our patients remain healthy and better manage disease by offering our patients access to innovative health management technologies, proactive team-based care, and an evidenced-based, patient-centered approach.
Here’s what sets Privia Medical Group apart from traditional practices:
- Nationally recognized top physicians and healthcare professionals
- Physician-led, high-performance medical group
- Unhurried, comprehensive visits, with time to develop the right care plan
- Personalized care that exceeds your expectations
- Collaborative, team-based medical group
- Staffed with Health Coaches, Nurse Educators, Pharmacists, and Care Managers
- Same-day/next-day appointments available
- Care reminders and alerts
- Check ins with clinical experts between your office visits
- Book appointments and renew prescriptions online
- Send and receive secure messages with your care team
- Secure access to electronic medical records
- Pay your invoices by credit card, securely and conveniently
State-of-the Art Security and Privacy
We go to extreme lengths to ensure our patients’ information remains confidential and secure.
Not only is our team trained in modern privacy standards (such as HIPAA and PCI compliance), but we also keep your information secure with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption, firewalls, secure servers (including 24/7 surveillance and biometric access), and many more measures to ensure your information won’t fall into the wrong hands.
To learn more about Privia Medical Group and find other Privia doctors, please visit our website.